Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Part 17: Relaxing

Waking up the next morning, I realized that there's no way I could go meet that guy at the Shrine of Talos. He might have some horrible quest or adventure for me to go on--bandits, Forsworn, any number of bad things await in this region.

I did want to take a look around the town though, heading up to look at the Jarl's palace.


A man was questioning a sellsword about the house he was standing in front of.

The mercenary shrugged. "It's abandoned, and was always abandoned. No one has bought it, and it's never been offered for sale by any one person."

The cloaked man turned to me, letting the sellsword go about his business. "Excuse me, but do you know anything about this house? Seen anyone enter or leave?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't, but, I live in Riverwood, I'm just in town for business, and I'll actually be leaving soon."

The man sighed. "Seems no one in this city has. I'm with the Vigil of Stendarr. We believe this house might have been used for Daedra worship. Evil rites and so forth."

I shrug. "Sorry, I don't know anything."

The man bowed slightly towards me. "Thank you for your time, then. I'll continue asking around."


The Jarl's palace was actually less impressive than Whiterun. It was dark, not very cozy and everything was made of stone. The slightest whisper was heard from across the room. I wanted to tell the Jarl about the attack in the town, but I had to go through his bodyguard first.



What? No Forsworn? There are at least Forsworn sympathizers, isn't that pretty much the same thing? I left, disgusted at the Jarl's separation from his people. At least Jarl Balgruuf knows the needs and wants of his people, and have no issue with them coming to speak with him.


Outside of Markarth, I help the farmers bring in their harvest for a few coins.


Since it was getting late, and I didn't feel like sleeping on the stone bed of the inn, I camp outside.


I was on my way back home early next morning, ready to just relax around Riverwood.


There's nothing like coming around the corner and seeing your house still standing.


You and I both deserve a good rest, eh, Arrow?


Glad to see you enjoying that book, Ysolda.


It's a small garden, but with work it'll flourish nicely.


Lots of work.


I take a break to drink some of the water Ysolda had. She boils some fresh everyday so there's no risk of disease.


Almost forgot to replentish my wood supply I carry around. Always be prepared!


And after a long day of travel, working in the garden and chopping wood, a relaxing time in the heated water tub does wonders for the muscles.


I do a bit of leveling as well and took two perks, one for haggling and stealth, so I can sneak up on the elk better.


Just like this.


Right in the rump!


This will be good to sell at the Riverwood Trader, Lucan is always looking to up his meat stock, as we usually have Khajiit traders go through Riverwood on the way to the larger cities.


After stepping out from the Trader, a courier runs up to me. "Letter from the Jarl! Moving up in the world, eh?"

I take it from him, thanking him, but very curious what was on his letter. I head back to my house to read it in private, sitting on one of my porch seats.

Markus,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Siddgeir, and I have the honor to be the Jarl of the proud and ancient city of Falkreath.

The fame of your exploits across Skyrim has been brought to my attention. If you are interested in becoming a Thane of Falkreath hold, I invite you to speak with me the next time you are in Falkreath. Aside from the honor that comes from the title, my thanes are entitled to a personal housecarl. I also can tell you privately that a choice parcel of land in Falkreath would be available for your purchase should your services provide useful to me.

I look forward to meeting you in person.

I remain,

Jarl Siddgeir of Falkreath

I raise an eyebrow at the letter, then head inside to speak with Ysolda about it.


I see you are enjoying a nice dinner.

I sit down at the bar across from her and slide the letter across the surface for her to read it. After a few moments, she looked up at me questioningly. "So, what do you plan to do?"

I shrug, folding the letter up and placing it to the side. "Was hoping you'd have some idea. Being Thane of Falkreath...we'd have to move."

Ysolda frowned, looking at the house. "But we just moved in here, and it's beautiful!"

I nod. "It is. I enjoy it here."

"Plus, all my customers are around Whiterun." She continued.

"You would be able to sell to new people." I point out. "I'm not saying we should do it, but how about we talk about it? I could head up there and see what sort of homes there are, and I could talk to Avor about selling this place back to him."

Ysolda bit her lower lip, and I could see her thinking hard. "I can agree with that. At least go there and find out what sort of homes they might offer you."

I nod, stretching. "All right. Tomorrow, I'll head to Falkreath and speak with the Jarl about becoming Thane. I'll see what he needs me to do, I'm sure it'll be some sort of bandit problem or helping the people around town. After I've finished up there, I'll come back here to let you know about the different houses available, and then we can move up there together. Sound good?"

Ysolda smiled, nodding. "That will work just fine. You'll be gone a few weeks then?"

"At least a week, probably." I confirm.

"I shall miss you then. You better go get some sleep if you want to head out in the morning."

I stood up, pocketing the letter. "Indeed. I'll probably head out about six or seven, but I'll wake you to say goodbye."

I head into the bedroom, flopping down on the bed, excited about the future prospects.

Tomorrow, Falkreath.

Part 16 ----- Part 18

End notes: I did buy a Hunting Bow of Scorching and sold my old bow, so if there are inconsistencies in the future, that is the reason why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment